April 19, 2020

Ultimate Guide to the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, Ireland

If you’re visiting Dublin, you absolutely must stop by the Guinness Storehouse, which is one of the most-visited attractions in all of Ireland! Don’t let that statistic fool you; the Guinness Storehouse experience is really unlike any other brewery tour out there, and it’s one that will really stick with you!

Here’s some quick facts about the Guinness Storehouse:

• It’s made up of 7 floors!
  • You can get an official certificate showing that you know how to pour the perfect pint of Guinness from the Guinness Academy.
  • Get a free pint at the end of your tour! It’s included in your ticket.
  • At the end of the tour, you’re rewarded with panoramic views of Dublin in the Gravity Bar, which is the highest bar in Dublin.
  • The inside of the storehouse is shaped like a giant pint (the world’s biggest pint, to be exact); if it were to be filled, there would be 14 million pints in it!

History of the Guinness Storehouse

Arthur Guinness, with a 100 pound inheritance from his godfather, signed a 9000 year lease in 1759 at St. James Gate Brewery. Yes, you heard me right – a 9000 year lease. That lease is still going strong on the 4 acres of land! For a while up through the 19th century, this brewery was also the largest in the world.

Believe it or not, the Guinness family has also helped out Ireland a lot over the years. Firstly, the brewery gave many people in Dublin jobs (with good compensation!) and even provided more rights to its workers back when many places didn’t. The family has also aided with construction of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, helping with reconstruction often. Also, if you happen to stop by St. Stephen’s Green, you may realize that the family also helped with making it a prominent park in the city!

Buying Tickets to the Guinness Storehouse

The easiest way to purchase tickets is to go to the Guinness Storehouse website and purchase them ahead of time. You can purchase tickets for a time slot, and that’s when you’ll be granted entry. For an anyone over 18, tickets start at €19.50, for children 13 – 17, tickets are €16, and for children 6 – 12, tickets are €5. Any child under the age of 6 is free.

Notice how I said that tickets start at €19.50… that’s because ticket prices can change depending on how busy the time is that you choose. Keep that in mind when purchasing your tickets!

If you purchase your tickets ahead of time, it’s super easy to get into the storehouse. All you have to do is go and type in your information once you arrive and your tickets are printed. Then you can waltz right in and begin your self-guided tour!

How to Get to the Guinness Storehouse

The Guinness Storehouse is easy accessible by public transportation, which is how I got there.

The first option is to get to the Guinness Storehouse by using the LUAS, which is the Dublin tram system. To do this, take the red LUAS to James’s. From there, it’s a short 5-minute walk to get to the storehouse.

If you’d like to get there by bus, you can get off at O’Connell Street from any of the following buses: 40 towards Liffey Valley, 13 towards Grange Castle, or 123 towards Walkinstown. Make sure you have a leap card or you’ll have to have exact change on you to take the bus.

You can also easily get to the Guinness Storehouse by taking a taxi; the best way to get a taxi in Dublin is by using an app called Free Now. I used this app often in Dublin and it’s extremely reliable, though taxis can be costly in the city! Other options include walking (very easy to do if you’re already downtown) or taking a car. There’s first-come first-serve free parking near the storehouse on Crane Street.

The Ground Floor

The ground floor sets the stage for a lot of the tour. There’s an orientation to your self-guided tour every five minutes, and I highly suggest sticking around to hop into one of these orientations. Since the tour is self-guided, it’s nice to at least start off by hearing from a Guinness expert! After you’re oriented, you’re free to go off on your merry way.

This is also the area where the Guinness merchandise store is. There is a lot of things in the store, but don’t worry, you can come back down to the store after you’re done with your tour if you want. That way, you won’t have to carry your stuff around with you the whole time.

One thing that I suggest you consider purchasing is a customized Guinness pint class to commemorate your stay. My friend and I did this and we love our glasses so much! They come in a pack of two, so if you split it with a friend you can snag a deal. Plus, each glass can say something different in the pack of two!

After you leave the orientation, you begin to become a little more knowledgeable about Guinness, as you’re told about the four main ingredients in the beer: water, barley, hops and yeast. There’s some pretty cool exhibits in this area. Trust me, you’ll want to take some photos!

The First Floor: History & Transportation

At this part of the tour, you learn all about the coopers who make the barrels that transport Guinness. You also find out that Guinness is being transported to over 150 countries worldwide! Everyone loves their Guinness.

There’s also a section where you can learn more about Arthur Guinness and the Guinness family, giving you some of the history that I went over earlier in the blog post. This floor also features the Cooperage Cafe, so if you’re hungry, you can already stop and grab a snack!

The Second Floor: Smell & Taste Guinness

Now this is where the tour starts to get fun. You get to experience the awesome aroma room, where you can smell each of the four ingredients that go into Guinness. You may be shocked at how amazing these aromas actually smell! It really does something to your senses.

This is also the floor where you are officially taught how to drink Guinness in the Velvet Chamber. Yes, this means you get even more free Guinness on your tour, though it is a mini pint glass! Be sure to listen to the tour guide when they go over how to taste Guinness; it actually does make a difference if you drink it the way that they tell you to!

The Third Floor: Guinness World of Advertising

Believe it or not, but this was actually my favorite floor of the entire tour! It’s where you get to explore the Guinness World of Advertising and see all of their awesome marketing over the years that they’re so well-known for.

Some of the awesome exhibits that you’ll definitely want to see include the fish riding a bicycle and the “tick followed tock” section. There’s even one exhibit that you can partake in, making it look like you are actually on a poster for Guinness! This is a great photo opportunity.

This floor also has a Guinness Advertising short film that I suggest watching. It’s a great break from the rest of the tour in my opinion!

Really take in everything on this floor; it’s one of the busiest floors of the entire tour.

The Fourth Floor: Guinness Academy

Now, this is one of the most fun floors because you get to pour your own glass of Guinness. This is, of course, not required, and it does use your free pint ticket. However, there’s just something about pouring your own glass that makes you enjoy it even more!

Though there may be a bit of a wait since there’s a line, I’m here to tell you that it is 100% worth it. Once it’s your turn, you’ll be in a group with a guide who will teach you all about holding your glass at 45 degrees and filling the pint up right to the harp on the pint glass. You’ll also learn that it takes 119 seconds to pour the perfect pint!

Another stop on this floor is the Connoisseur Experience, which I didn’t partake in. You can book a stop here for an extra fee and experience a tasting of the different kinds of Guinness with a staff member! When I go back to Dublin, I’m definitely doing this part of the tour.

The Fifth Floor: Food

This is the floor where the Guinness restaurants are! The first option is Brewer’s Dining Hall, which has a lot of Guinness-inspired dishes and other foods that are traditional to Ireland. This is a more laid-back option with an open kitchen.

The next option is the 1837 Bar & Brasserie, which has both small dishes and bigger entree options. There’s also platters that you could get to split between yourself and some buddies.

Lastly, Arthur’s Bar is also on this floor. This is your traditional Irish pub with small snacks to go with Guinness. Sometimes there’s even live Irish music in the bar which only adds to the awesome atmosphere!

If you don’t want anything to eat on this floor, don’t worry. There’s a lot of other great places to eat in Dublin!

7th Floor: Gravity Bar

Okay, I know I said the Guinness World of Advertising floor was the best floor, but… I lied. This is the best floor. Grab your pint that you poured and head straight up here if you aren’t going to any of the restaurants. I highly suggest taking the elevator so you don’t spill it. I saw so many people accidentally do that!

This is where you get the amazing views of Dublin. It really is the best view of the city and it’s the highest point in the city too. You can even see the Wicklow Mountains from here, which is where the water used for Guinness is taken from; not the River Liffey, like many assume!

It can be very busy up here, so if you see an open seat, grab it quick! The earlier in the day that you book your ticket, the less of a chance you have of it being busy. My tour was at 4:30 p.m. and it was so busy up here but I didn’t mind! It only added to the fun.

Check out my vlog from when I visited the Guinness Storehouse below!

Like this post? Pin it for later!

Have you been to the Guinness Storehouse? I’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below!

1. Love Ireland! And the Guinness Storehouse is a must-do! A good glass of Guinnes, the views, and the entire atmosphere…

2. This looks like such a great time! Alas, I’m stuck drinking Guinness at home (it could be worse!) for now, but would love to see this when the world opens up again!

3. Hannah says:

What a great guide! When I visited Dublin I didn’t go to the Storehouse as I don’t drink Guinness, but it looks like a fascinating place! I might have to include a visit on my next trip to Dublin!

4. Pinned for future travels! I just cancelled our May trip to Dublin. So sad. That will be the first place we travel when international flights open up. Dublin and Guinness are calling me!

• Krystianna says:

I hope you get there eventually! It really is such an amazing city. I studied abroad there last spring and fell in love with the city & the country! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

5. Zarina says:

I love your photos in this post! I love all sorts of beer, but never managed to appreciate Guinness, despite it looking very appetising. Would be interested in visiting the brewery though, I’ve never been to Dublin but it’s definitely on my travel wish list 🙂

6. Audrey says:

I don’t like beer, but whenever there are breweries to visit, I am always the first in line! I visited the Alexander Keith brewery in Nova Scotia back in the days, I found the visit so interesting!

7. I’ll keep the Guinness Storehouse in mind as a must see when visiting Ireland. Your visit sounds fun, and there’s so many interesting facts. I can’t get over the 9,000 year lease, that’s insane!

8. Bliss says:

This is such a detailed guide! It’s great. I did this years ago. I must admit I poured a really horrible Guinness.

9. Karen says:

I didn’t get a chance to go here when I was in Dublin but this great guide makes me want to go back for it.

10. Taylor says:

This is an awesome guide! I went to the Guinness Storehouse when I visited Ireland in October 2017 and LOVED it! Gravity Bar was so fun and it was so cool learning about Guinness in general. 🙂

11. Stephanie says:

With any luck due to the pandemic, I’ll be able to visit Ireland next year for my 30th birthday. Reading this post made me SO excited to go! I can’t wait to visit the Guinness Storehouse! I felt like I was there with your photos and writing, it got me in the mood to start planning! Can’t wait to share with my friends!

12. Francesca says:

Guinness Storehouse looks like such a cool place! I can definitely see why it brings visitors from all over the world.

13. Wow, I didn’t know the storehouse was 7 floors tall – that’s huge! I guess the world really likes its Guinness 😉

14. Francesca says:

I did the Guiness Storehouse tour, but I want to do the more in depth one next time! My favorite part was having Guiness at the top. I want to learn how to pur it!

15. Helga says:

Such a great one! Since my colleagues went a year ago for a weekend getaway over to Dublin I was planning my trip. Last notes are done now! Really great article!

16. Vanessa Shields says:

What a fun and awesome post! I’ve been wanting to visit Ireland for awhile and would definitely want to take this tour. 7 floors is really big but it looks like there is a ton to see. I love how they got a 9,000 year lease. Lol. It seems funny they would pick that many years but it looks like they will use it!

17. I have always wanted to visit the Guinness plant! It looks so much fun! I’m not a huge fan of beer, but it’s such an iconic place!

18. I’ve been to Dublin many times, but still ahven’t made it to the Guiness Storehouse. Will definitely add it to my bucket list for next time. Thanks for sharing!

19. Kelly says:

Such an iconic part of Dublin. I still can’t believe I’ve never been to Dulin. Thanks for the great info.

20. Such an awesome idea for a post! I love Guinness, so I will definitely keep this handy!

21. Amy Alton says:

I’m not a beer drinker, but it is interesting how passionate people are about their beers, and Guinness seems to have really inspired a lot of brand loyalty!

• Krystianna says:

I agree! It really is a fun experience regardless if you like to drink beer though because everything is so interactive! Thank you for stopping by. 🙂

22. Rowena says:

Hmm, years ago, Guinness was my favorite beer. I don’t drink it that often these days but I definitely still like it and would definitely visit when I visit Dublin!

23. Dani says:

I would love to visit Ireland, and of course a visit to the Guinness Stonehouse is a staple in that itinerary. Such beautiful views from the top! Thanks for sharing.

24. Taylor says:

Such a great post! I went to the Guinness Storehouse when i was in Dublin and it was so much fun! I also got the certificate too and have it hanging in my office haha

25. Taylor says:

This is so awesome! I went to the Guinness Storehouse when I was in Ireland. Such a fun experience! I also go the certificate too and have it hanging in my office. 🙂

26. Heather says:

I loved the Guinness factory! Was there years ago with my mom. Now I’m obsessed with finding a Guinness as good outside of Ireland. 🤣

• Krystianna says:

I swear it’s so much better in Ireland too! It’s probably because it’s fresher and didn’t have to be transported anywhere. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

27. Helena says:

Ahh I loved the storehouse!! So fun pulling your own pint. This is a great post and really informative

28. Val says:

OMG, Guiness is one of my favourite beers! This has been added on to my bucket list hehe! Thanks for your insight and the useful tips so that we know what to expect-I am having an itchy foot now!

• Krystianna says:

It’s one of my favorites too! Funnily enough, I hadn’t even tried it until I studied abroad in Dublin & then I loved it. I hope you get to the storehouse sometime!

29. Bianca Malata says:

Cant believe I missed out on this place, then again I thought I was going to move to Ireland and then Brexit happend and all plans were put on hold. These pictures however do make me want to book another trip to Ireland after Covid.

• Krystianna says:

I also would love to move to Ireland – I was planning on going on a Working Holiday Visa later this year but I’m not sure if/how that’ll work out with Covid. :/ Hopefully we both get there sometime!

30. Brit says:

7 floors of Guinness goodness?! Sign me up!! Love this super helpful and informative guide! Thanks for sharing!!

31. Emma says:

When I go to Dublin, which hopefully will be soon, you can bet I’ll be going here. Although I might need to hurry if there’s only 8750 years left on that lease!

32. Tiana Bantis says:

Looks like a blast and so many cool floors to explore!

33. Albi says:

This completely brings me back when I was visiting Ireland. It looks so amazing! Thank you for sharing

34. Linnea says:

I loved the gravity bar at the storehouse! I also never appreciated Guinness so much before I was in Ireland. It’s definitely a must visit!

35. Carryn says:

This souds like just the place for me! I’m dying to visit visit Ireland and this will definitely be on my bucket list.

36. Michaela says:

Ah Guiness, looks magical! Do need to visit Ireland and I think this is one of those destinations you HAVE to visit.

37. Definitely somewhere I want to visit the next time I’m in Dublin! When I was last there I visited the Jameson Distillery and my liver couldn’t take any more alcohol after that!

38. […] This guide from Volumes and Voyages changed my mind and has convinced me that I need to head back to Dublin to experience the Guinness Storehouse! We’ve also listed 15 reasons why you need to visit Dublin if you need further convincing! […]

39. […] that crazy? I’m here to tell you that it is with good reason! The entire museum itself is so interactive and it has 5+ floors to explore. There’s even a tasting room where you’re taught how to correctly drink Guinness! Plus, […]

40. […] year at this very location in St. James’s Gate. Guinness has been brewed here ever since! The seven floor visitor experience that the Gravity Bar is located in is actually the world’s largest pint glass as well, […]

41. […] the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin is one of the most exciting things to do! The journey at Guinness begins at the bottom of the […]

42. […] Check out this complete guide to the Guinness Storehouse!  […]

43. […] there’s a lot to learn at the Guinness Storehouse. The pint shaped brewery includes a history of the beer, the iconic advertising through the years, […]

44. […] Visit Volumes & Voyages for their Ultimate Guide to the Guinness Storehouse! […]

45. […] there are plenty of indoor attractions in Ireland as well such as the Guiness Storehouse, Kilmainham Gaol Museum or Irish Whiskey […]

46. […] The Guinness Storehouse is a fun way to acquaint yourself with another facet of Ireland’s history. The self-paced tour walks you through the history of Guinness, how it’s made, and allows you to taste it along the way. Included in the tour is a pint at the rooftop bar overlooking Dublin.  […]

47. […] forget to also check out some of the other great attractions that the city has to offer. The Guinness Storehouse provides an in-depth look into Ireland’s most famous beer, and you can even sip on a free […]

48. […] things to do in Galway include drinking a Guinness in one of the traditional pubs, and visiting Eyre Square. Eyre Square is the main hub in Galway, […]