This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.The Royal We by Heather Cocks, Jessica Morgan
Series: Royal We #1
Published by Grand Central Publishing on April 7, 2015
Buy on Amazon
(Last Updated On: January 16, 2022)
"I might be Cinderella today, but I dread who they'll think I am tomorrow. I guess it depends on what I do next."
American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy tales. Her twin sister, Lacey, has always been the romantic who fantasized about glamour and royalty, fame and fortune. Yet it's Bex who seeks adventure at Oxford and finds herself living down the hall from Prince Nicholas, Great Britain's future king. And when Bex can't resist falling for Nick, the person behind the prince, it propels her into a world she did not expect to inhabit, under a spotlight she is not prepared to face.
Dating Nick immerses Bex in ritzy society, dazzling ski trips, and dinners at Kensington Palace with him and his charming, troublesome brother, Freddie. But the relationship also comes with unimaginable baggage: hysterical tabloids, Nick's sparkling and far more suitable ex-girlfriends, and a royal family whose private life is much thornier and more tragic than anyone on the outside knows. The pressures are almost too much to bear, as Bex struggles to reconcile the man she loves with the monarch he's fated to become.
Which is how she gets into trouble.
Now, on the eve of the wedding of the century, Bex is faced with whether everything she's sacrificed for love-her career, her home, her family, maybe even herself-will have been for nothing.
I had been on the waitlist for this book for so long at my library, and I was literally so ecstatic when I finally was off it! Needless to say, The Royal We was an amazing book and I literally want to read more books just like it.
-what i liked-
- The entire book was about British royalty. It was a retelling of William and Kate! While reading, it made me want to hop on a plane to London. I mean, what’s not to love about that??
- BEX. She was such a stubborn character. Since I’m stubborn, I saw a lot of myself in her, and that made me love her as a protagonist even more. She also took no shit from anybody, which I found extremely respectable.
- Nick was literally so dreamy. I want a Nick of my own. Please??
- This book was told in parts over time. That made it seem like I was really growing up with these characters as they changed over time, which was a really interesting concept.
- THE WRITING. I don’t know what it was, but these two wonderful authors wrote with such poise yet had such lyrical words at the same time. I freaking loved it.
-what i didn’t like-
- Literally the only thing I didn’t like was Lacey. She got on my nerves a lot, but I mean, she was supposed to!
-overall thoughts on The Royal We–
So if you’re looking for a fun contemporary to read this summer that is waayyyy different than the classic YA contemporaries, try venturing into the world of adult literature and give The Royal We a try. It’s filled with romance, family, and lifelong lessons that you’ll never forget!