This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Published by Scholastic Press on September 17, 2013
Buy on Amazon
(Last Updated On: January 17, 2022)
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after…
this review contains spoilers for The Dream Thieves.
Even though I found The Raven Boys to be pretty slow, I decided that I’d continue on and give The Dream Thieves a try. I had heard a lot of people say that they liked this one even more, so I knew that I had to go on. Despite that, I was a little bit let down by it.
what i liked
- ALL THE RONAN. I hadn’t really been the biggest fan of Ronan, though after hearing that so many people seriously loved him, I’m glad that I gave him another chance. He really grew on me in this book. He’s such a complex character and he even has those super awesome powers that you find out about.
- The whole idea of dream thievery. I thought that was so awesome, especially with the fact that Ronan found out his father was just like that. I found it super creepy that his mom was pulled from a dream though.
- The Grey Man’s story. I was a little wary about reading from a new character again, who I was really expecting to be the antagonist, but I ended up really liking him. I seriously ship him and Maura.
- Blue finally stuck up for herself against Adam. Adam really started pushing Blue to the side in this book and I’m glad that she told him that and ended things with him. Now hopefully she and Gansey can get together!! Seriously, their chemistry is unreal.
- I really liked learning more about Gansey’s family. His sister was so great when she literally got a fake used car just to give to Adam. That was just the sweetest thing! I think it’s awesome to see how much his family cares for Adam.
- The whole cast of characters is still so lovable. I got to read more about them and I was pretty excited.
what i didn’t like
- THE BOOK WAS SLOW AGAIN. I really was hoping that it was just something with the first book, yet this one was slow too. I don’t know why it’s taking so long for things to happen. It’s starting to get me a little frustrated. I’m hoping that book three is not as slow (yes, I’m still continuing on with the books).
- Where the hell was Noah? He was such an awesome character from the first book, especially after you figure out that he’s actually dead. I missed him so much. He was in the book a bit in the beginning in one of my favorite scenes, when he kissed Blue because he’s a ghost which means he can’t die again. I never really saw him that much more after that, which really upset me.
- I’m confused a bit about Ronan’s mom being pulled from a dream that his father had. Doesn’t that mean that Ronan is half-dream, which would make it kind of impossible for him to be alive right now? I hope that gets more explanation in the next book.
Even though I liked so much about The Dream Thieves, I missed Noah and really hated the fact that this book was still slow. I’m seriously hoping that things start to pick up more because there’s only so much non-action that I can take. I also hope that we get more explanations in the next book, though then again there are still two books left!
Have you read The Dream Thieves? What were your thoughts?