This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.Nyxia by Scott Reintgen
Series: The Nyxia Triad #1
Published by Crown Books for Young Readers on September 12, 2017
Genres: Science Fiction
Buy on Amazon
(Last Updated On: May 31, 2022)
Emmett Atwater isn’t just leaving Detroit; he’s leaving Earth. Why the Babel Corporation recruited him is a mystery, but the number of zeroes on their contract has him boarding their lightship and hoping to return to Earth with enough money to take care of his family.
Before long, Emmett discovers that he is one of ten recruits, all of whom have troubled pasts and are a long way from home. Now each recruit must earn the right to travel down to the planet of Eden—a planet that Babel has kept hidden—where they will mine a substance called Nyxia that has quietly become the most valuable material in the universe.
But Babel’s ship is full of secrets. And Emmett will face the ultimate choice: win the fortune at any cost, or find a way to fight that won’t forever compromise what it means to be human.
what i liked
- Emmett. He was such an awesome main character, and I loved watching his character development throughout the entire book. He’s come from a rough home life so he has been through some tough stuff, which allows him to fight with everything he’s got in this competition.
- THERE’S A COMPETITION. I don’t know why, but books with competitions always grab my attention, i.e. The Selection, Divergent, The Hunger Games, etc. Nyxia was no exception. In this book, the prize is to be able to go to Eden. The thing is, there are 10 people on the ship, but only 8 get to go. So there’s fights/duels, team activities, brain games, and other activities and everyone’s scored. At the end, the people with the top 8 scores get to go to Eden.
- Did I mention there’s a spaceship?? YEAH. Eden is a planet that is now deemed habitable, so the spaceship is going there.
- Babel Corporation is fishy as hell. There’s definitely something going on with them, because as we all know, most corporations in science fiction novels are corrupt.
- A romance blossoms in Nyxia. What’s not to love about romance?
- A super awesome thing called nyxia exists. Basically, it’s this element that you can form with your brain, and it’s found on Eden, and all the competitors are trained to use it. When they get to Eden, they’ll be mining for it since it’s worth billions of bucks on Earth.
- A crazy plot twist occurs, and boy did it spin the book around. I didn’t see it coming, and it completely threw me for a loop. But it definitely upped the suspense!
what i didn’t like
- The wait that I’m going to have to endure until book two!!
Nyxia is going to be the book that brings back the popularity of young adult science fiction. Filled with suspense, clever characters, and a deadly corporation, Nyxia is sure to keep you guessing after the very last page.
Try these next: