on September 2, 2014 Pages:
373 Format: Paperback Goodreads
"Today is my last day as Violet Lasting. Tomorrow I become Lot 197."
The Jewel is a shocking and compelling new YA series from debut author, Amy Ewing.
Sold for six million diamantes, Violet is now Surrogate of the House of the Lake in the centre of the Lone City, the Jewel. Her sole purpose is to produce a healthy heir for the Duchess – a woman Violet fears and despises.
Violet is trapped in a living death, her name and body no longer her own. She fights to hold on to her own identity and sanity, uncertain of the fate of her friends, isolated and at the mercy of the Duchess.
The Handmaid's Tale meets The Other Boleyn Girl in a world where beauty and brutality collide.
I recently purchased this whole series from Book Outlet, because they were all so cheap. I had heard great things about it too, and the covers are gorgeous, so I thought, why not?
what i liked
- Violet. She was a pretty badass character who was secretly rebellious from the start. I mean, the girl spent her Reckoning Day wearing pajamas because that’s what she wanted to wear and it’s what she felt comfiest in. She is a relatable character in that way.
- The world-building. I thought Ewing did an excellent job with her explanation of the world, and I bet that there will be even more to come in the future. I found the way that the world is set up to be so interesting too, with The Jewel (where the royals live) right in the center.
- The pacing. I never really felt like I was bored. There was always something that was keeping my interest, which is hard to find in a book nowadays.
what i disliked
- Ash. I loved him at first, I really did. But as I saw that an insta-love was beginning, I liked him less. He doesn’t seem to have much meat to him either, like there isn’t much to his character. I’m hoping that there will be more about him in the next book, but for now, I don’t like him much.
- The ending!! I want to know what’s going to happen next.
This was a pretty good first book in a trilogy, and overall, I’m excited to continue on.