Series: The Selection #3
Also in this series: The Selection, The Prince, , The Elite
Published by HarperTeen on May 6, 2014
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.
When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.
I was so pumped to pick up The One because I seriously loved The Selection and its sequel, The Elite. I have to say that if you’ve read the first two books, you should definitely check out this one.
what i liked
- America finally chose to be with Maxon at the end of The Elite. Thank god she finally made a choice!
- Celeste!! I finally began to seriously love her as a character. She became so much easier to understand and I really liked that.
- Maxon flipped shit when America finally told him about Aspen! FINALLY. I think that she kind of deserved it and I appreciated that he was upset, however part of me was really scared that he wasn’t going to end up with her.
- I loved the letters from Maxon. I thought they were the sweetest thing ever.
- THEY ENDED UP TOGETHER. It was all that I wanted!
- The ending left so much room for future opportunity. I’m hoping that more is explored with the revolution/uprising that has been going on and I also hope to see the caste system change in the future books. Hopefully something along those lines happens!
- This book literally gave me so many feelings. I haven’t tried to read through a final book in such a long time. Like… since Mockingly. I was literally broken at about 91% through the book because I was so scared for Maxon and America. You can see my exact reactions if you check my Goodreads!
what i didn’t like
- Because she already made a choice, I thought that they’d be getting together way earlier in the book, though it seemed to still take a while because oh yeah, AMERICA STILL NEVER TOLD MAXON ABOUT ASPEN. Why didn’t she just tell him as soon as he came to the palace?? I mean, Maxon already knew about Aspen and America! It’s what made the two of them close in the first place!
- I thought that the seduction scene between Maxon and America was a little odd. I mean, America already pretty much would have Maxon to herself because he clearly loved her so much.
- Celeste’s death! I mean, I guess I could see that people did have to die in that very last rebel attack, but I didn’t see it coming! I finally liked her, and then I became so upset when she was gone.
- I felt like it took quite a while for a lot to start to happen in this book. Namely, I finally got really into the story when Maxon and America left the palace thanks to Aspen.
- I wasn’t the biggest fan of Kriss because I was so scared that she was a big threat to the relationship between Maxon and America.
Despite all that, this is yet another five star read for me. I literally love this world and the fact that it’s just such a fun read. I am looking forward to reading the next books, though I’m a little sad that it isn’t about Maxon and America!